Saturday, January 7, 2017

We Survived Age 3.

So it's December 28, but since it's still 2016 I don't think I'm too horrifically late to post Emma's birthday blog. Right? (humor me) (edit: I didn't finish this post in one sitting... and, CRAP. Now it's 2017 and I've failed miserably)

My tiny tater tot is 4 now. And I am so relieved.

3 was bad. 3 was nuclear-meltdown temper tantrums, peeing on the floor out of anger, rapidly changing emotions, and increasing independence all wrapped up in the cutest little body with enormous blue eyes and (finally) long brownish-blondish-reddish curly/wavy hair. She was the sweetest, smartest little monster I had ever met, and she was almost the death of me.

But here we are, happily settling into age 4. The nuclear meltdowns are a thing of the past, aside from a few random and short-lived ones sprinkled here and there when she's overtired. She's starting to make more mature decisions and is able to name her emotions and ask for help when she's overwhelmed. Don't get me wrong- she's still a pistol. She's just a more calm, even-keeled pistol. Which is truly remarkable, when you consider the fact that her whole world was flipped upside-down in March when we moved out of our family home and into two separate homes. During my half of her life, she is crammed into a teeny-tiny apartment that is bursting at the seams with furniture that is way too large for this space (but I'm determined to get a bigger place one day!) , but she doesn't seem to mind at all. In fact, she still loves the fact that her bedroom is also her playroom. Well played, broke mommy!

4-year-old tater is a sassy one, who destroys my logic on a daily basis. I've had a few of those moments when all I can say to her is "erm... yeah, actually, you're right about that" and then I slowly raise that white flag I've kept since she was born, surrendering to my 32-pound benevolent (mostly) dictator. She's wicked smart, and never-endingly curious. Apparently, I was the same way as a child. There's a long-standing joke that our children are miniature versions of ourselves when we were kids. And that our own parents sit back in silent contentment, knowing that we're out there chasing around our pint-sized paybacks. I'm nearly certain my dad is nodding at this point, and remembering when I would probably ask 53287659 questions in the span of 3.2 seconds. I keep reminding myself that it's good that she's so curious about the world, and that I need to continue to feed her hunger for learning. But then she asks me abstract questions for which there are no simple answers and suddenly I feel like a dope who shouldn't have been allowed to have such a smart child. Ugh.

She's tiny, too. *throws head back and laughs* Like she had any chance of being on the "above average" end of the growth chart. I think she's destined for the same torture as her mother: going shopping, and never finding anything that fits because pants are always 6" too long, and always having to look both ways in the grocery store aisle to make sure no one sees an adult climbing the shelves to reach the BOGO soup. She's already having clothing issues, as her waist is still a size 3 but her legs are the length of a 4. Hooray for adjustable waists!

Tiny, sassy, and way too independent. She'll cuddle with me sometimes, and she'll tolerate my hugs and kisses on occasion. It's always on her terms, and usually when I'm running around like crazy and don't have time to cuddle, but I do it anyways because I can't turn down those big, blue eyes.

She's getting to the age when she's starting to think about what she wants to do when she grows up, and while I know that'll change about 350 times by the time she actually goes to college in 14 years, it's interesting to see where her mind is at. While most days she aspires to be a mermaid (I mean... I kinda can't argue with that because that's what I want to be when I grow up too), sometimes she'll say she wants to be a social worker like mommy (ROFL she clearly has no idea what that means) or drive an ambulance like daddy. I do think she may end up in some kind of profession in which she helps people, because she seems to have a heart for that. I've just got to make sure I encourage that part of her as she grows up and starts to see the uglier parts of people and the world.

Alright, time for tater answers:

How old are you?
"umm four" *holds up four fingers with no hesitation*
What's your nickname?
"Emma" (I then clarified what a nickname is) "Tater"

What is your favorite color?
"Purple"

What is your favorite animal?
"Ponies... I mean, unicorns"
Mommy's answer: anything that is an animal.

What is your favorite book?
Emma's answer: "My favorite book that I can read is 'Blue Hat Green Hat'"
Mommy's answer: "Peanut Butter and Cupcake" Although she truly doesn't have a favorite that lasts for very long.

What is your favorite TV show?
Emma's answer: "My Little Pony"
Mommy's answer: It has been another year of ALL BLUES CLUES ALL THE TIME.

What is your favorite movie?
Emma's answer: "ummm... Alex in Wonderland"
me: "really?"
Emma: "yes"
me: "where did you see that at?'
Emma: "I dunno."
Mommy's answer: She's not big on movies, but for a while she loved watching Cinderella and Frozen on repeat.

What is your favorite song?
Emma's answer: "My favorite song is...." *stares off into space, very deep in thought* "happy birfday"

What is your favorite drink?
Emma's answer: "Apple juice!" (no hesitation)

What is your favorite dinner?
"ummm, I like... weeeeeee!" *starts scooting around in the bath, then postures like she's about to dive in head-first, at which point my mom voice comes out with a stern "NO"* I don't know what it is about this question that makes her not want to answer... maybe the fact that she's partially anorexic and just kind doesn't like food in general.
So, mommy's answer: still tacos

What is your favorite snack?
Emma's answer: "mermaid cookies"
Mommy's answer: all the carbs.

What is your favorite outfit?
Emma's answer: "the mermaid dress-up clothes"
Mommy's answer: Dresses! The twirlier the skirt, the better.

What is your favorite game?
Emma's answer: "video games"
Mommy's answer: Hide and seek

What is your favorite toy?
Emma's answer: "Elmo" (teehee, so cute)
Mommy's answer: the iPad.

Who is your best friend?
Emma's answer: "Mommy and Miss Linda. And daddy" (the daycare owner)

What is your favorite thing to do?
Emma's answer: "Swim in da pool"
Mommy's answer: Ask 987238765789 questions.

What's your favorite holiday?
Emma's answer: "ummm... holiday?" (mommy explains holidays and provides examples) "EASTER!"
Mommy's answer: Every holiday, especially if it involves presents and/or candy.

What is your favorite thing to take to bed with you at night?
Emma's answer: "Elmo"
Mommy's answer: Elmo. Every blanket in the house. 37 stuffed animals. 2 pillows that she doesn't use.

Where is your favorite place to go?
Emma's answer: "Disney World!"

Where do you want to go on vacation?
Emma's answer: "I want to go visit mermaids!"

What do you want to be when you grow up?
Emma's answer: "a mermaid"
Mommy's answer: She seems to be drawn towards helping people, so I'd say a social worker, doctor, or maybe even a veterinarian since she loves animals so much.

What did you do for your birthday? (I asked her what she wants to do on her birthday since it hasn't arrived yet)
Emma's answer: "had fun and played"
Mommy's answer: We took her to Disney, but you wouldn't know by her underwhelmed answer.

No comments:

Post a Comment